Cardiff Bay Barrage (Morglawdd Bae Caerdydd)
The former mudflats around Cardiff Bay have been transformed into an attractive lake thanks to the Cardiff Bay Barrage. Built it the 1990s, it was one of the grandest engineering projects in Europe when it was constructed. Visitors can walk or cycle across the barrage, which links Cardiff city with nearby Penarth. For more detailed information about the history of the area, you can join a guided walking tour.
The popular Doctor Who Experience, the Norweigian Church Arts Centre and the Wales Millennium Centre (home to the Welsh National Opera) can be found at Mermaid Quay on the Cardiff city side of the Barrage. For children there’s a play area, skate park and outdoor gym.
Things to Know Before You Go
- The embankment paths are flat and well-paved and suitable for wheelchairs and people with limited mobility.
- There’s a cafe on site.
- Information boards along the route are used to house temporary exhibitions.
- It’s not possible to drive across the barrage.
How to Get There
Cardiff Bay Barrage lies across the mouth of Cardiff Bay, between Penarth Marina and Queen Alexandra Dock. It’s accessible on foot or by bike from both the Penarth and Cardiff sides. There’s car parking nearby. Public buses run from Cardiff Central to the Millennium Centre at Mermaid Quay, a short walk from the barrage.
When to Get There
The barrage is open all year round, although is best enjoyed in spring, summer, and autumn, when the weather is most pleasant. For the Doctor Who Experience or other nearby attractions, check opening times before you visit.
Take a Stroll at Bute Park Once the ground of Cardiff Castle and now transformed into an expansive public park alongside the River Taff, Bute Park is the ideal place to get some fresh air when on a visit to the city. Explore the ruins of the 13th century Blackfriars Priory, stroll the Castle Green designed by famous landscape architect Capability Brown, and visit the arboretum with its wide collection of tree species.
- Things to do in Bristol
- Things to do in Oxford
- Things to do in Southampton
- Things to do in Birmingham
- Things to do in London
- Things to do in Horley
- Things to do in Liverpool
- Things to do in Manchester
- Things to do in Cornwall
- Things to do in Stansted Mountfitchet
- Things to do in Dublin
- Things to do in York
- Things to do in South West England
- Things to do in South East England
- Things to do in North West England